Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the impossible project engagement photo question

Back for more? Awesome!


I pulled out my favorite Polaroid SX-70 for R&D's engagement shoot at Descanso Gardens and took a moment while we were in a dense forest like area to capture the sun gently highlighting Rebecca's face.  The Impossible Project film is very light and temperature sensitive and the film I was using, The Impossible Project's SX-70 Colorshade can be tricky. It was a cool day approximately 70 degrees F with bright sun. I have started a habit of taking the photo and immediately placing it under my arm to keep it warm for 30-45 seconds before putting it in my back pocket to continue developing. I have more testing to do but I do believe I could have just flipped it over onto my leg, held it there for 40 seconds and then put it into my pocket thus keeping it at a lower temperature which would have kept it from the high contrast (dark darks, light lights).

sun

To see the difference in using instant film vs. digital, here is a photo taken one minute earlier with my Canon 5D

R&D-23

I've also included the version I ran thru Photoshop adding contrast and sharpening slightly which looks good on the web but would lack the vintage feel of the real thing if I printed for show.


polaroid sx 70 ps 04

More SX-70 love coming soon because I am loving it and want to share more!

My question to you is which one do you like best?